Echolocation explores my process of writing electronic and electroacoustic music based on location-specific, memory specific audio recordings. By using sounds recorded entirely within a geographic area, as well as recording with local musicians, my pieces are meant to conjure up the essence of a place both emotionally, intellectually and physically. Rather than just being inspired by the spirit of a city, the pieces are based upon and built from raw audio material collected from each place's sonic landscape. The end result is a musical representation of a location that is both literal and artistic, bringing the place itself into the music.
This is the process of this project - Echolocation - a series of pieces I've written and am still writing based on three months of traveling in Europe (with a sliver of Africa as well). From Oslo to Munich to Rome to Lisbon to Tangier to Brussels to Amsterdam and more, each piece is meant to conjure up my personal experience in each city. Local musicians were used whenever possible, including a 96-piece German choir, a Portuguese guitar quartet, a Roman flutist/violinist, and more, and all sounds were sourced from each location.
This subscription service that will allow people to support this project, bringing it to life, and allowing you to share in my experience by receiving a new piece from a new location each 4-6 weeks. Each piece will be joined by numerous writings, pictures and videos exploring the process of composing each piece, and showing you the journeys I took to make it all happen.
The first piece you'll receive will be based on Oslo, Norway, and is the music heard in the intro video above.
As a subscriber you will also receive discounts on merch and free downloads/streaming of various new projects of mine, such as the forthcoming album Navigation Without Numbers available this Feb on Innova Recordings, and a new electronic EP entitled Morning Dust. I'll also have some surprise goodies along the way that you'll have to wait to find out about.
What you get:
- All the new music I make, streaming instantly on your mobile device via the free Bandcamp app, and also available as a high-quality download.*
- Exclusive access to the George Hurd fan community.
- These back-catalog and subscriber-only releases:
- A 10% discount on all my merchandise.
- The satisfaction of knowing you’re supporting me in a sustainable way.
For $3/month, you get everything above.
You’re a subscriberThank you!
For $10/month, you get everything above, plus:
Everything in the previous tier as well as:
- postcards sent to you from us each month from wherever we happen to be in the world (when we're on the road, of course, which is as often as possible)
- a set of location-specific audio recordings collected on my travels (otherwise known as field recordings) and used to create the basis of a new piece of music, each recorded in their respective city or region we're representing at that time. This makes the connection between each location and corresponding song so much more vivid, allowing you to hear the raw sound of each place be sculpted, arranged, warp and torn apart, then used as raw material to build and create each piece.You’re a subscriberThank you!
For $25/month, you get everything above, plus:
Everything in the previous tiers as well as:
- free entry to any of my performances* that take place during your subscription
- a copy of my debut CD, Navigation Without Numbers, shipped to you free of charge
(*some exclusions MAY apply, though that is seriously doubtful)You’re a subscriberThank you!