Echolocation brings together the two things I love most in this world: travel and music. A few years ago I had the innocent idea to write some pieces of music based on places I traveled. It evolved into the most incredible experience I've ever had - a 90-day adventure that spanned Europe, recording massive amounts of sound unique to each place I visited, and using it to write music inspired by each location.
This project takes international travel as a platform to compose new music - diving into my process of writing electronic and electro-acoustic music using location-specific audio recordings as the basis for each piece. I traveled to new places and collected sounds that only exist in those locations; I recorded with amazing local musicians when possible, and created music meant to conjure up the essence of those places, emotionally and physically. Rather than just being inspired by the spirit of a city, the pieces are based upon and built from raw audio material collected from each place's sonic landscape. The end result is a musical representation that is both literal and artistic, bringing the place itself into the music.
The squeal of cable cars, the roar of passing parades, the braying of strange creatures, the rhythm of local dances - all the special little sounds that weave together to form each local sonic backdrop have been used like clay to sculpt into something new. From Oslo to Munich to Rome to Lisbon to Tangier to Amsterdam and more, each piece is meant to evoke my personal experiences in each city. Local musicians take the idea even farther, bringing the people who live there into the process. This includes a German flutist and 96-piece choir, a Portuguese guitar quartet, an Italian violinist, and more.
This subscription service will allow you to support this project, bringing it to life, and share in my experience by receiving a new piece from a new location every 4-6 weeks. Each song is exclusively available to subscribers, and will be joined by writing, pictures and videos exploring the process of composing each piece, and the journeys it took to make it all happen.
The first piece you'll receive will be based on the beautiful Oslo, Norway - listen to an excerpt of the music at bit.ly/2hdFAVB, as well as in the video above. In the coming months and years we'll also go through Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Belgium, the Netherlands and Morocco. Also look for some additional pieces from France and our upcoming trip to New Zealand!
As a subscriber you'll get more than each new piece of music, you'll also receive free downloads/streaming of past and future albums of mine, such as my electro-acoustic release with The Hurd Ensemble, "Navigation Without Numbers," or "Nightmare Light," my self-titled electronic EP with fellow composer/electronic musician Joel St. Julien. There are multiple subscription tiers with extras that include receiving the original field recordings that were used to build the piece, postcards sent to you from us on our travels (Los Angeles followed by a 3-week road trip though New Zealand!), exclusive behind-the-scenes pics/vids/info, free concert tickets, and more. Have a look below to decide which is right for you.
What you get:
- All the new music I make streaming instantly on your mobile device via the free Bandcamp app, and also available as a high-quality download.*
Exclusive access to the George Hurd fan community.
- These back-catalog and subscriber-only releases:
- A 10% discount on all my merchandise.
- The satisfaction of knowing you’re supporting me in a sustainable way.
For $3/month, you get everything above.
You’re a subscriberThank you!
For $10/month, you get everything above, plus:
Everything in the previous tier as well as:
- postcards sent to you from us each month from wherever we happen to be in the world (when we're on the road, of course, which is as often as possible)
- a set of location-specific audio recordings collected on my travels (otherwise known as field recordings) and used to create the basis of a new piece of music, each recorded in their respective city or region we're representing at that time. This makes the connection between each location and corresponding song so much more vivid, allowing you to hear the raw sound of each place be sculpted, arranged, warp and torn apart, then used as raw material to build and create each piece.You’re a subscriberThank you!
For $25/month, you get everything above, plus:
Everything in the previous tiers as well as:
- free entry to any of my performances* that take place during your subscription
- a copy of my debut CD, Navigation Without Numbers, shipped to you free of charge
(*some exclusions MAY apply, though that is seriously doubtful)You’re a subscriberThank you!